Veterinary Science Camp | July 14 – 19, 2019
Cost: $1200 | Coed ages 12-15
(includes lodging, meals, lab materials, and transportation during stay)
For Veterinary Science Camp, Gould’s Farm and Forest Program partners with teaching veterinarians to offer a high-energy, challenging, educational experience with a strong focus on hands-on learning.
Gould’s Veterinary Science Camp is a wonderful opportunity for students interested in medicine, science, and animals. Check out the slideshow of one of our Vet Science Immersion Weekends to get a sense of what you’ll do.
During the Summer Veterinary Science Camp students will:
- safely handle a variety of large and small animals for assessment
- use laboratory tools unique to practicing medicine
- administer medications and vaccinations
- draw and analyze blood
- perform mock surgery maintaining sterile conditions
- examine critical organs with the goal of a deeper understanding of the function
- identify normal and abnormal cells
- engage in conversations about ethics as it relates to veterinary medicine
Gould’s on-campus farm is home to horses, cattle, sheep, pigs, poultry, and rabbits. McLaughlin Science Center provides cutting-edge laboratory classrooms and equipment.
The Bethel Animal Hospital, a modern small animal hospital, is less than two miles from campus.
SAMPLE DAILY SCHEDULE
6:30 am Barn Chores
7:30 am Breakfast
8:00 am – 9:10 am Safely assessing healthy large animals (Gould’s barn)
9:15 am – 10:25 am Introduction to surgical dissection (McLaughlin Science Center)
10:30 am – 11:40 am Farrier Science (Horse shed, Gould’s barn)
12:00 pm Lunch
1:00 pm – 4:00 pm Field Trip: swimming and farm visit (guard dogs, dairy goats, horse breeding, food production)
5:00 pm Barn chores
5:30 pm Dinner
6:00 pm Bethel Animal Hospital mock surgery and intro to laboratory equipment
9:30 pm In rooms lights out