Winter Adventures at Sunday River and Beyond
Is a wind hold keeping you off the trails at Sunday River? Have a little time left after your tour at Gould? Just in town for a short visit? Here are our favorite winter adventures, on and off snow, in Maine’s “most beautiful mountain village.”
Snow Tubing or Night Skiing at Sunday River
The Chondola and South Ridge Express keep running so you can hit the lighted slopes of South Ridge and North Peak on Friday and Saturday nights from 4 to 8 p.m. Or try snow tubing. Let gravity work its magic as you zoom down the lighted Sundance trail.
Even if you only have a few extra minutes, it’s worth a stop at the local coffee shop/bakery, where everything is made from scratch—hand-shaped bagels, naturally leavened breads, even their own gelato!
Maine Mineral and Gem Museum
Check out Bethel’s latest attraction. The “world-class meteorite collection” (according to the New York Times and Smithsonian) includes the five largest pieces of the moon found on earth.
Movies at the Gem Theater
This three-screen theater also hosts local arts events, serves real butter and choice of flavorings with their popcorn, and has flatbread pizza.
Ready for Your Winter Adventures?
Bowling at River Lanes
With or without bumpers, ten-pin bowling is a fun way to spend an evening or a rainy day. Try the arcade games, or enjoy pub fare in the restaurant or at your lane.
Go cross-country skiing or fat-tire biking
Bethel Village Trails grooms and maintains nearly 20 kilometers of trails right in town, thanks to a collaboration between Mahoosuc Pathways, Bethel Outing Club, Gould Academy, and The Bethel Inn. They also have equipment to rent.
Not all trails are made for skiing! There are more than 3,500 acres of protected land int the Bethel Community Forest between Gould Academy and Sunday River Resort. So strap on some snowshoes or microspikes and get out there. Check out MaineTrailfinder for trails and conditions.
Dog sledding Trips
Looking to extend your winter adventures? Mahoosuc Guide Service offers 2- and 3-day weekend dog sledding trips in the Umbagog Lake and Mahoosuc Mountain areas. Some day trips are also available.
End the day with a bang!
Catch a fireworks display at Sunday River Resort.
Live (and eat) like a local
We are fortunate in Bethel to have so many culinary options within walking distance (in addition to what’s only 10 minutes away at Sunday River)!
- Millbrook Tavern – Trivia night every Wednesday
- Brian’s – Dinner only in the winter, but the porch is popular all summer long
- 22 Broad Street – Authentic Italian fare right on the Green
- Modern Barn – Après-ski specials nightly and weekly live entertainment
- Cho Sun – Sunday is locals night, with Korean/Japanese specialties.
- Butcher Burger – Guess who won Best of Bethel for Best Burger?
- Kowloon Garden – Chinese classics for more than a decade
- Suds Pub – Classic pub fare downstairs at the Sudbury Inn, live music on weekends, and don’t miss “Hoot Night,” an open-mic on Thursday nights.
- Le Mu Eats/Steam Mill Brewing – Grab take-out from Le Mu and head inside for a pint or a growler fill.
- Bethel House of Pizza