China Student Meeting 3 Notes
Tuesday night, we gathered for one of the last times before we travel to China in just under one month! There were a few orders of business last night.
1. Finalizing some details about money and transportation. If you have not contacted Martha Whittington (firstname.lastname@example.org) about exchanging money or Chris Hayward or me (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org) with finalized transportation plans for before and after the trip, please do so ASAP.
2. We talked about a few specific travel issues:
- What goes in
- Drinking only bottle water or boiled water
- Peeled or washed Fruits only!
- Be careful with things like salad
- What comes out
- Chinese toilets
- toilet paper- make sure that you pack some tissues because public toilets do not usually have toilet paper in them
- If you are having issues, let us know! (I also got to say poop in this portion of the presentation A LOT!)
- Chinese toilets
- Money/Buying Stuff/Numbers
- We introduced the idea of bargaining again
- Talking to the leaders if you are planning to spend more than ¥100
- How to count to 99 in Chinese (which we need to review next week)
- Review of Packing and Dress code
3. We broke into our city groups and talked about the contract. The contract (posted below) is a reminder that Gould Rules and the Code of Conduct should still govern student behavior while they are in China. Four Point is part of the Gould Experience and it is important that students understand this. Additionally, we emphasized that safety and trust that the students will be safe are paramount to the success of this trip.
Ninth Grade Four Point Contract
The Ninth Grade Four Point includes the opportunity to travel to another country and experience a new culture firsthand. The trip is made possible by the generous support of the Gould community and the dedicated work of the adults involved.
Every effort is made to ensure that the trip is educational, enjoyable, and safe. It is important that each student follows the instructions of the leaders and is in full compliance with Gould Academy’s rules and expectations, as found in the Community Guide.
The Ninth Grade Four Point trip is part of the Gould experience and a graduation requirement; therefore, Gould Academy’s Code of Conduct continues to govern behavior. If a student is found to be in violation of a major school rule, he or she may be asked to leave the trip immediately, flying home at the family’s expense. Examples where this consequence might be enforced include: the use or possession of alcohol, tobacco, or any illicit substance, willful or extreme insubordination, leaving a building after hours, careless disregard for the safety of people or property, conduct unbecoming of a Gould student.
Gould Academy’s Ninth Grade Four Point policy is that you not use portable technology or other communication devices during scheduled activities or group time, excluding cameras. Eliminating this distraction will support more involvement and engagement in the program. Those who use their devices at inappropriate times will have their devices taken away for the duration of the program.
By signing this contract you indicate that you have read, understood and are willing to comply with the expectations for the Ninth Grade Four Point trip.
Trip Leader Signature:
Please take time over vacation, either in person or over the phone, to talk as a family about these expectations.
Please let us know if you have any questions!