During a ride on the lift in the season of 2003/4 I was chatting to one of the riders on the team at the time, and I asked, “What do you want to be when you grow up?”
A pretty standard question from an adult to a graduating senior. His reply was, ‘Something in the snowboard industry, an executive. I’m going to continue to compete, network, go to college, and then get an exec job in the industry. The integrity of the industry needs snowboarders to stay involved…!”
And I thought he was going to say “a fireman.”
Since then, it has always been an objective of mine to encourage the snowboarders on the team to really think about snowboarding and “extreme sports” as a viable option for future employment. And I’m glad to say, that many Snowboard Team alums have taken that path, and continued to have snowboarding/skateboarding/surfing as part of their daily life.
Below are some of the riders, and their jobs (as best as I know)
- Morgan Rudd – Terrain Park Manager
- Colin Boyd – Snowboard guide/Coach
- Aidan Payson – Visual Marketing for Vans
- Nate Gilman – Surf/yoga instructor
- Steven Schultz – Video editor for TWS
- Brian Schroy – PR/Marketing MFA (Dew Tour etc)
- Ben Bishop – Filmer/Photographer
- Lewis Feuer, Dustin Holzweiss, Becky Slattery, Chris Lee, Libby Redepenning – Coaching
Others have also been part of snowboard teams and done other coaching jobs on their way to other personal goals.
And these are just the snowboarders; many more of the alpine and freestyle skiers have carved successful careers in the industry, as reps, coaches, film-makers, company owners, etc.
So look out for these bright young stars, and chat yourself up when your trying to break into the industry of “extreme sport.”
Who knows, your future boss may have gone to Gould.