On the Road to Victory

March 30, 2013

Today we packed our bags and headed south to Falmouth High School for a morning practice and an afternoon scrimmage against the two-time defending Maine Class B Champion Yachtsmen. When we last played Falmouth in 2011, we lost 8-12 and today was to be our long-awaited rematch.

The first thing we noticed when we pulled into the parking lot was the vastness of Falmouth’s Stadium. Inside the double fences lies a full-sized track with a wall-to-wall Field Turf surface lined for soccer, football, boy’s and girl’s lacrosse. Light towers, scoreboard, a press box, and home and vistior’s stands complete the facility.

Having played on within the friendly confines of Schroy Field for the last few days, Falmouth’s field might as well be the windswept plains of Texas. Making the move from our smaller field to something this big takes some adjustment, which is why I asked for a practice before we played a game. More than one Husky commented that they were going to have to put a little more zip on their passes today.

After practice, we had our brown bag lunches in the parking lot and then headed to Laxpros, Maine’s most complete lacrosse store and a division of Atlantic Sportswear (our uniform and equipment supplier). Since we had some more time to kill before our game, we drove down to the Maine Mall and let the boys get a little shopping in. When they go back to the van, they reported that they had all tried out the full-body massage chairs at Brookstone and that Gould’s Athletic Department needs to budget $6,600 for two of them next year!

Back at Falmouth, we geared up and prepared for the coming contest. The boys, freshly limbered from their full-body massages, were ready for a chance to put one in the win column for the first time this season. We jumped out to an early lead and went into halftime  up 11-6.

But in the third period, Falmouth found their stride and scored four goals to our two. While we certainly have plenty of talent, with only 15 players dressed for the game, we were definitely lacking in numbers and Falmouth was using their deep bench to its fullest.

At the start of the fourth quarter, you could tell that this game was going to come down to which team was willing to work the hardest for the last twelve minutes. We made a few adjustments on defense and dug through to the end. The icing on the cake was Kaelan Fitzpatrick’s goal with one second left in the game! It truly was a complete team effort and a hard-fought first win.

On the way home, we made a quick stop at Walmart to pick up some videos, candy, and a Shakeweight…

Tomorrow, we’ll travel to Yarmouth for a play day, then to UNE to take in an afternoon game. I had promised the boys a trip to Cabela’s, but after the mall and Walmart, I’m beginning to rethink that!!!


Leave a Reply