Anatomy of a Ninth Grade Study Hall
OVERHEARD IN 9th GRADE STUDY HALL: “That’s a lot of carrots you got there!”
Act 1: Sign in. At 7:30 the 9th grade dribbles in in twos and threes. Look around. It’s time to play my favorite weekday family-fun game show: “FIND MYSELF!!” Chances are good that, if you sit all the way up in the front of the room every night, you know why.
This must be where Davis sits:
Phones: Up front at the table. Looking kinda-sorta like this:
And now, let the STUDYING BEGIN!
7:35- 9:27…Top 10 things heard tonight:
- Can I have an extension cord?
- Do YOU have extra headphones?
- You’re a Spanish teacher, but do you know anything about physics?
- It’s my birthday! (Happy Birthday, Cassidy!)
- Who wants some carrots?
- Can I use your phone, or do you need it?
- What’s wrong with the printer?
- Those carrots are making me feel not so good.
- Can I interview you about breakfast?
- You’re a Spanish teacher, but do you know anything about math?
As you can see, a very busy, studious place indeed. And here’s the proof:
***So many carrots.***