July 13 – July 18, 2014
- Cost: $700 – includes all meals, dormitory-style housing, laboratory materials, and transportation while attending.
- Coed for ages 12-16
Gould Academy’s Farm and Forest Program partners with teaching veterinarians from the Bethel Animal Hospital and Kind Animal Care of Norway, ME to offer this a high-energy, challenging, educational experience with a strong focus on hands-on learning.
Our Summer Veterinary Science Camp is a wonderful opportunity for students interests in medicine, science and animals.
Check out the slideshow of one of our Vet Science Weekends to get a sense of what you’ll do.
During the Summer Veterinary Science Camp students will:
- safely handle a variety of large and small animals for assessment
- use laboratory tools unique to practicing medicine
- administer medications and vaccinations
- draw and analyze blood
- perform mock surgery maintaining sterile conditions
- examine critical organs with the goal of deeper understanding of function
- identify normal and abnormal cells
- and engage in conversations about ethics as it relates to veterinary medicine
Gould’s on-campus farm is home to draft horses, pigs, sheep, poultry, and rabbits, while the McLaughlin Science Center provides cutting-edge laboratory classrooms and equipment. The Bethel Animal Hospital, a modern small animal hospital, is less than two miles from campus.
For more information email Tracey Wilkerson Farm and Forest Program director.
Or, register here.
Veterinary Science Immersion Weekend Teaching Veterinarians:
Dr. Robin Gorrell – Bethel Animal Hospital
Dr. Julie Schubert - Bethel Animal Hospital
Dr. Don McLean – Kind Animal Care