Veterinary Science Camp
July 12 – July 17, 2015
This camp is currently full.
- Cost: $850 – includes all meals, dormitory-style housing, laboratory materials, and transportation while attending.
- Coed for ages 12-16
Gould Academy’s Farm and Forest Program partners with teaching veterinarians from the Bethel Animal Hospital and Kind Animal Care of Norway, ME to offer this a high-energy, challenging, educational experience with a strong focus on hands-on learning.
Our Summer Veterinary Science Camp is a wonderful opportunity for students interests in medicine, science and animals.
Check out the slideshow of one of our Vet Science Weekends to get a sense of what you’ll do.
During the Summer Veterinary Science Camp students will:
- safely handle a variety of large and small animals for assessment
- use laboratory tools unique to practicing medicine
- administer medications and vaccinations
- draw and analyze blood
- perform mock surgery maintaining sterile conditions
- examine critical organs with the goal of deeper understanding of function
- identify normal and abnormal cells
- and engage in conversations about ethics as it relates to veterinary medicine
Gould’s on-campus farm is home to draft horses, pigs, sheep, poultry, and rabbits, while the McLaughlin Science Center provides cutting-edge laboratory classrooms and equipment. The Bethel Animal Hospital, a modern small animal hospital, is less than two miles from campus.
For more information email Tracey Wilkerson Farm and Forest Program director.
Veterinary Science Immersion Weekend Teaching Veterinarians:
Dr. Robin Gorrell – Bethel Animal Hospital
Dr. Julie Schubert - Bethel Animal Hospital
Dr. Don McLean – Kind Animal Care